Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Computing the Specifics

Well, as soon as I got the new computer out of the box and hooked up last night we had to leave to meet some friends for dinner (Zea's hummus was totally worth it), so I wasn't able to spend as much time with it as I hoped, and I wasn't able to upload all of the pictures for an unboxing post. Don't worry though they are coming.

I've got a dentist appointment this morning at 11:00 (having a cavity filled.....shame shame) and I'm thinking of taking the afternoon off of work afterward to fiddle around with the new computer.

I decided on a Dell Optiplex 755. I was originally looking at Dell XPS 720s, but I talked it over with the guys in our IT department and they assured me that the Optiplex would meet all of my needs (heavy video and audio storage and playback) and be much less expensive than the 720. The Optiplex also comsumes WAY less power and won't generate as much heat or noise, which is great because it is in my living room.

The best part of the whole deal is that my company let me order through their account. This allowed me to get an amazing discount because they order so much from Dell.

Full spec list after the jump.


OptiPlex 755 Minitower
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E8500 (3.16GHz, 6M, VT, 1333MHz FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2, x32, with Media, English


OptiPlex 755 Minitower
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E8500 (3.16GHz, 6M, VT, 1333MHz FSB)

Memory
4.0GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM, 800MHz, (4DIMM)

Keyboard
Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse, Black, English

Monitors
Dell 19 inch UltraSharp™ 1908FP Flat Panel, Adjustable Stand, VGA/DVI

Video Card
256MB ATI Radeon 2400 XT, Dual Monitor DVI or VGA (TV-out), full height

Boot Hard Drives
250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s and 8MB DataBurst Cache™

Floppy Drive and Media Reader
Dell 19 in 1 Media Card Reader

Operating System(s)
Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2, x32, with Media, English

Mouse
Mouse included in Dell Wireless Bluetooth keyboard/mouse Package

Basic Systems Management Mode
Intel® vPro™ Secure Advanced Hardware Enabled Systems Management

Removable Media Storage Devices
16X DVD+/-RW SATA, Roxio Creator™ CyberlinkPowerDVD™

Speakers
Dell™ A225 Speakers, Black

Wireless
Dell 1505 Wireless-N PCIe Card, Full Height

Additional Hard Drives
250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s and 8MB DataBurst Cache™

Hardware Support Services
5 Year ProSupport for IT and 5 Year NBD Onsite Service