Saturday, October 22, 2005

I Finally Broke Down

I've never cared much about the typical things that many guys are really interested in. Things like sports, guns, and cars just never did too much for me. I was always more interested in books and music and movies. There have been a few exceptions over the years, and one of those falls into the car category: I have always loved Ford Mustangs.

I think it started in my early teenage years when I began to think about the fact that I would be getting my driver's license in the near future, and what kind of car I would like to drive. One of my uncles grew up in the time when the Mustang was first introduced and always loved them. He even owned a couple throughout the years. One afternoon at my Grandmother's house, I found one of the hubcaps that originally belonged to one of his Mustangs and actually hung it on my wall. It was really cool with a chrome finish and the Mustang emblem in the center.

As my passion for the cars grew, my parents took notice and for Christmas in 1994 when I was 14, I received this book on the history of the car:

Mustang: Anniversary Edition, 1964-1994.



Once I got my license and started driving I realized that I would likely never have my prized pony for two reasons: 1) They tend to be expensive, and 2) The cost to insure one with me behind the wheel would be outrageous. I let the dream fade away and held onto my love for the cars themselves but not the idea of owning and driving one (to this day I have not ever driven a Ford Mustang.)

When the 2005 models were announced and pictures began to surface on the internet and in magazines, my love affair with the Mustang was renewed, this time even stronger than before. Unfortunately however the cost to purchase one is still too high for me to bear and the cost to insure it hasn't improved much either.

But, as long as I've fought it, I finally broke down and bought one. I had to put a little work into it to get it ready, and here it is:

My 1968 Ford Mustang GT Fastback 2+2 with a 390 V-8 engine.