Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Vindication Tastes So Good...Like Chicken

Wow, I almost had to read this blog post twice to figure out if I wrote the damned thing myself! This guy feels exactly the way I do about this soup. I think I ate this can of soup for lunch every single day of 2004, and well into 2005.

From the new and very good Dethroner:

Of all the canned soup in the world, none stands higher than Campbell’s Chunky-brand Chicken Corn Chowder (or, the “5C”). It manages to overcome the curse of most canned chowders, staying creamy without tasting of chemical preservatives. The indestructible endosperm of the corn kernels adds a nice contrasting texture to the soggy potatoes typical of canned soups.

Imagine my horror when I tried the new “Smoked Chicken with Roasted Corn Chowder” variety to find it thick with nasty, chemical piling of fake “smoke” flavor. Would this new variety supplant my old standby, tasting as it did like something that dribbled from a lesser demon’s gnarled cock?

I wrote Campbell’s with my concern. Their reply:

We still do make the Regular Chunky Chicken Corn Chowder Soup. We are sorry to learn that you purchased our Campbell’s Chunky Ready-To-Serve Smoked Chicken with Roasted Corn Chowder by mistake. While some of our packages may be similar in appearance, the names of each product is clearly written on each package.

I can read, Campbell’s, you crooked-mouthed sluggards. You’re missing the point: Don’t ditch the marvelous 5C for this hideous wastewater-infused variant.

You may ask, “Haven’t you tried to make a chicken corn chowder at home?” I have, in fact, but even when buying top-quality ingredients, I find the home-made version lacking. If you have a corn chowder recipe that knocks socks off, I may need it should Campbell’s blame flagging sales of the 5C on their customers’ inability to read.