Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Scott and Elise Did This To Me

(But I suppose my personality has to account for at least a little bit of it.)

On the Friday after Thanksgiving, Scott, Elise, Lindsey and I all went out drinking and ended up coming home earlier than we normally would because we were pretty tired. Scott wasn't feeling well so he ended up going to bed when we got home. Elise and Lindsey and I weren't tired and were looking for something to do so I suggested that we check out a couple of episodes of "Lost" Season 01, which they have on DVD and have been talking about and recommending for quite some time.

Well, we watched two episodes that night and I was hooked. That entire weekend was spent in their living room, glued to the TV because I (I don’t want to speak for Lindsey, but I think she was almost as into it as I was) couldn’t get enough. By Monday evening we had watched 24 episodes of the show. I don’t even want to calculate how many hours that comes to, but I know it’s a lot.

For months now, I’ve heard water cooler talk, read reviews and blogs, and overheard nothing but great things about “Lost.” I treated it as I usually do, and didn’t pay much attention. Now that I’ve seen it I understand its popularity and I’m glad that I’ve started watching.

The problem is that by the time I was fully into the show after Thanksgiving weekend, the current season showing on ABC Wednesday nights was already at episode 8 of season 2. If you’ve seen it, you know that it isn’t the kind of show which can be picked up anywhere, skipping episodes here and there and coming back to episodes you’ve missed later. There is continuity to the story that can’t really be disrupted. It is also the kind of show which, once you’ve started watching, you really, really want to know what happens next and so can’t wait to see the next episode. Since we finished the season 1 one DVDs I’ve been frantically trying to find a way to catch up with season 2 on TV. I’ve asked around to see if anyone has it on tape to no avail. I’ve tried to download them on P2P networks with no luck.

Today however I read an article in the New York Times indicating that ABC and NBC have both begun selling episodes of many of their most popular shows on Apple’s iTunes. For only $1.99 an episode I can totally catch up. I can’t tell you the relief I feel right now. I can’t wait to get home tonight and download them.

I would like to take this opportunity to mention that I love America, capitalism, the free market, and technology. We live in a world that gets more convenient every single day. I absolutely love it. Here's to hoping that I can download them with no problems tonight.