Thursday, August 11, 2005

On Blogging

I'm not completely sure I'm all that cut out for your typical blogging. Most blogs (at least many that I read regularly) tend to lean toward the author making some statement or opinion known and then debating the merits of that opinion in the comment section. This happens on a number of blogs, and every time I get sucked into one of these debates, I regret it. It's happened here on my very own blog and ended in my retracting most of my statements and ending the discussion.

The truth is that I (1)just don't have terribly strong convictions and (2) I don't really care too much what other people think and how they choose to live their lives. This seems to be true regardless of the topic of debate. Believe in God or don't believe in God...doesn't make much impact on my life either way, but I let myself get sucked into the debate. Like Harry Potter or hate it, who cares? I still like it, and that goes unchanged regardless of anyone else's feelings, yet I jump into the fray.

I could probably search through the archives of several blogs to find more examples, but you get the idea. I get a little worked up at first, but give me a little time to think it over, and I always come to the same conclusion...What other people think does not make much difference in my life, so why bother?

This attitude doesn't make for interesting blogging though does it?