Thursday, July 14, 2005

I Love the Internet

Last weekend Lindsey and I were on the Westbank (a common name for a small portion of Orleans and Jefferson Parishes on the opposite side of the Mississippi River from where we are) doing some shopping at Lowe's for things we needed at the house. There is a Barnes & Noble very near to Lowe's so I stopped in quickly to pick up a copy of The Trial by Kafka. I ran in (with Lindsey waiting in the car) thinking I could just snatch the book up quickly and get out. I walked straight to the section where Kafka's works are kept (I've come to know my way around a Barnes & Noble over the last few years) and found pretty much every available literary work of his EXCEPT for The Trial.

What the hell is that? It's only one his most popular works, right?

So I went home a little confused and bummed that I couldn't start reading it that afternoon.

When I got home however, I checked Project Gutenberg, which I've mentioned here before, and low-and-behold it was available.

So, rather than paying $14.00 for a copy of the book, I was able to get it for free, without a library card or a trip to the library. The internet truly is a wonderful thing!