Monday, June 20, 2005

There wasn't a whole lot of work to be done in the office today so I went to the movies. As a matter of fact, I went on something of a movie spree today.

At 11:05 I watched Mr. & Mrs. Smith, which I thought was pretty entertaining. It had lots of explosions and it was generally cool all around. Back in the beginning, I was right in line with every other guy in the world when it came to Brad Pitt: I hated him. He's just too good looking and charming and funny, and I hated him. George Clooney was up there with him at the time. It's amazing though how good choices when picking roles can change someone's career. After a string of movies that, even if the film itself isn't great, Pitt usually is. In 12 Monkeys, Fight Club, Snatch, and Ocean's 11 and 12, I enjoyed every minute that he was on the screen. He's got the roll of general goofball down to an artform.

Then at 1:15 I saw Batman Begins which was kinda cool, but I didn't love it to be sure. I take great issue with continuity in sequels/prequels and can't understand any deviation from it. As a writer you have complete power and control over the story in your hands. Why not use that power to make sure that your story and Tim Burton's story match up a little better? Aside from that the movie was ok. Christian Bale was pretty good (though I had to restrain myself from laughing when he spoke in a gravelly/weird voice anytime he was wearing the Batman suit.) Michael Caine was born to play Alfred, and I generally like to see Gary Oldman on screen, mostly because he's a fantastic actor, and partly because he just doesn't seem to get a whole hell of a lot of work.

I cam home at 4:00 and watched Disc 04 of Seinfeld: Season 04, which contains some great episodes. Season 04 was great all around with a few of the more popular episodes such as "The Contest."

Around 7:30 I put in the DVD I recently got from Netflix of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I had never seen the movie before. It is part of my attempt to catch up on some of the movies I haven't seen on the AFI Top 100 List.

So, needless to say it was a pretty good day. I wish more weekdays could be almost exactly like this one. For a while there I was thinking I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I won the lottery, and I'd just end up working some crap job to pass the time. Now I can see that for the utter crap that it is, and that I can waste a day with the best of them.