Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The Sickness

When I decided to start a career in public accounting, my Mom (who has worked in CPA offices) warned me that it would just piss me off and make me envious of all the money these incredibly rich clients had.

At the time I thought she might be right, but I went into it anyway. It turned out though, that it doesn't bother me much at all. I usually don't even think of the numbers as real money. To me, it's like working a word problem back in grammar school.

That all changed today though. I was preparing a tax return for this company that is set up for the sole purpose of providing big chunks of money to this guy's three daughters. He doesn't even own the thing, they do. He set it all up in their names, and they aren't any older than I am.

So here I am doing the accounting for this place, and I'm looking at all of the money these chicks get for doing absolutely nothing. They've got apartments in New York that this company pays for, shopping trips to Bloomingdale's, and about 15 different credit card accounts that get paid off every month only to be run right back up again.

It's just a dammed shame. I don't know if I'm disgusted by the fact that these girls have never, and probably will never have to do anything on their own, or jus jealous because I don't ever want to do anything again either.