Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Talking 'bout my generation

Notice: the URL for this blog has been changed. Click here for new URL. Please remember the new address next time you visit! Thank you for reading.



I love the people of my generation. Today’s twentysomething is an extraordinary creature. I have friends that I think are the most interesting people ever. I read other blogs by people my age and I think they are most interesting people ever. What is it that makes all of these people so interesting?



I think it’s the fact that none of us know what the hell we’re doing. I don’t really know anyone who has much of a plan for the future. Most people have some vague idea or notion about who or what they would like to become and what they would like to do later, but nothing solid, concrete.



We all seem to have dreams. We have all been told since we were children that we can be anything we want to be when we grow up, and we still believe it. A lot of us still talk about “when we grow up” as if it’s this far away, distant future that may or may not happen. I know that along the way we will all stumble upon the thing that makes each of us great.



I am so anxious to see what my generation will accomplish. Who will be the star filmmakers, the star athletes, the most brilliant writers, scientists, business men and business women?



A great number of the people I talk to want to open their own businesses rather than work for someone else. This may not be unique to our generation, but the resources and knowledge to do it may be greater now than ever before. There seems to be a strong urge to ignore the status quo and do things the way we want them done.



I think that collectively we have so much potential.