Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Staying Connected During Labor

Once again I'd like to point out a new feature added to my blog. This one however, will do more than simply tell you guys what music I'm listening to on my Zune and which movies I'm renting from Netflix.

Over on the right at the top of my sidebar you will notice a heading which reads "Luke Sonnier says..." and beneath it there are five updates written at various times regarding my whereabouts. This is my Twitter feed.

From the wiki for Twitter:


Twitter is a free social networking and micro-blogging service that allows users to send "updates" (or "tweets"; text-based posts, up to 140 characters long) to the Twitter website, via short message service (SMS), instant messaging, or a third-party application such as Twitterrific or Facebook.


One very cool feature of Twitter is that when I send an update (which I can do on the Twitter.com website or via text message), members who are following my Tweets can choose to receive updates on their cell phones via text message alerting them to my new message.

I hate to ask all of you to go and open an account with Twitter, but I think this will be a great way for me to keep you all informed when Lindsey goes into labor and Sam is born. Rather than sending out a million text messages and making a million phone calls which I'm pretty much hoping to avoid, I can simply update Twitter via text message from the hospital and you guys will be in the know immediately. Obviously, do not sign up if you aren't interested. I just thought I would make the suggestion. We will still be making phone calls and updating people as much as we can in the traditional ways.

If you are interested, sign up at Twitter.com.

You can read the general FAQ on Twitter here.

And the FAQs on how Twitter works with your cell phone here.