Sunday, November 06, 2005

Good Morning America, How Are Ya?

Good morning America how are you?
Don't you know me I'm your native son,
I'm the train they call The City of New Orleans,
I'll be gone five hundred miles when the day is done.

- Willie Nelson "City of New Orleans"

I haven't been able to bear the thought of updating this blog constantly with information that keeps changing every time I report it.

On Thursday of last week, November 3rd, we received a call from our movers to inform us that the trucking company who picked up our order after the first one cancelled at the last minute, had cancelled at the last minute. They were supposed to pick up our stuff in New Orleans on either the 6th or 7th and here they were canceling on the 3rd.

The moving company told me that another carrier was going to come for us on the 10th or 11th. I said ok and hung up so that I could figure out what the hell to do next. I talked to Lindsey and decided to finally call and chew a little ass for all of the inconvenience, and to tell them how things were going to go from this point on.

I told the movers that I was mailing them a key so that they could come any time they please. This time they are guaranteeing that the truckers will not cancel. They should have gotten the key today, and so they will go to New Orleans and let themselves in to get all of our earthly possessions. Lindsey's Dad might go down there when they get there in order to make sure everything goes smoothly.

As for Lindsey and I, we can't sit around waiting for people across the country to change our plans at the last minute anymore. We are leaving first thing tomorrow morning. We are going to try to get on the road early (like 8 or 9 am) and drive as far as we can in one day on our second and final trip to Portland.

I'm hoping we can get as far as Amarillo, Texas by tomorrow night. We are hoping to get to Portland by sometime late Wednesday night. If we simply cannot push ourselves that hard, we'll be there mid-day Thursday.

So, after 10 1/2 weeks of limbo we are finally closing the chapter of our lives that Hurricane Katrina opened. Keep Lindsey, Mojo and I in your thoughts on while we are on the road. As before, I will try to update as much as I can in hotels from the road.

Mojo is awesome in the car for a cat, but we've never tried to take him that far. Poor little fella.