Wednesday, October 05, 2005

In Portland

Well, sorry to have not updated in a few days. We arrived in Portland and have managed to stay pretty busy.

We arrived on Monday evening at 5:30. The last leg of the drive wasn't so bad. We left Boise, Idaho that morning at 10:30 or 11:00 and drove into Oregon almost immediately. The drive through Oregon was really, incredibly beautiful. For a kid from flat Louisiana, those hills and mountains are pretty damned cool.

After driving through Oregon for a while, we reached a point where I-84 (the road through Oregon and into Portland) meets up with the Columbia River. This is called the Columbia Gorge at it is positively beautiful. I recommend the drive to anyone who wishes to make it, though I hear that the time of year to do it is in the summer. I'd be willing to bet that it is amazing on a motorcycle. Hehe.

Anyway, on Monday night we hung out with Elise for a while at home and then had dinner at a sportsbar with my Mom and Kim, which was really nice. Scott strangely enough was in Alabama for the weekend, attending a Nascar race at Taledega Superspeedway, so when he flew in that night at 11:30 we picked him up at the airport. We came home for a few more drinks and went to bed since we were all pretty beat.

The next day I had two job interviews, one at 10:00 and another at 3:00. I had seven interviews lined up here all told. What ended up happening is a little strange, but the very first interview that I went on was great. They made an offer that evening and I accepted, so I cancelled the rest of my interviews for the week and now I can relax a little.

I am very excited. I think this job is going to be totally sweet.

Once I got a job and was able to relax, pretty much all we've done this week is cook, drink, watch movies, and just hang out. It's been most enjoyable.

While on the drive up here I kept a running list of all the albums we listened to while driving. Here is the full list in order of appearance beginning in Lafayette and finishing up in Portland.

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
The Postal Service - Give Up
Elton John - Madman Across the Water
Billie Holiday - Ken Burns Jazz
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake It's Morning
Tom Petty - Wildflowers
The Wallflowers - Breach
Cake - Prolonging the Magic
Smash Mouth - Fush Yu Mang
The Arcade Fire - Funeral
Pink Floyd - Is There Anybody Out There
Griffin House - Lost & Found
Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West
Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News
Beck - Odelay
Kanda - All the Good Meetings Are Taken
Figurine - Transportation + Communication = Love
Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
The Rolling Stones - Big Hits
The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Woody Guthrie - This Land Is Your Land
Counting Crows - Various
Bob Marley - One Love: The Very Best
The Doors - Various
Amelie - Soundtrack
ELO - The Definitive Collection
The Velvet Underground - The Very Best
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
Neil Young - Harvest
Mulhulland Drive - Soundtrack
Vanilla Sky - Soundtrack
Van Morrison - Moondance
Counting Crows - August and Everything After
Good Will Hunting - Soundtrack
Kings of Convenience - Quiet is the New Loud
Garden State - Soundtrack
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Twin Peaks - Soundtrack
Billy Bragg & Wilco - Mermaid Avenue
Billy Bragg & Wilco - Mermaid Avenue, Vol. 2
High Fidelity - Soundtrack
Bob Dyaln - New Morning
Lou Reed - Different Time: Lou Reed in the 70's

That is a total of 43 albums. Looking through that list reminds me of how much Lindsey and I kick ass.