Thursday, September 01, 2005

Our Latest

Lindsey and I are still in Lafayette. Now that the initial shock of the devastation in New Orleans has worn off a little, we are trying to help in any way we can, and trying to determine what we are going to do about picking up the pieces of our life.

Yesterday we waited three hours to give blood. It's not much, but I feel so helpless right now, and need to do anything in my power. The blog I started, New Orleans Refugees, which lists displaced Gulf Coast residents phone numbers and addresses so that family members may find each other is doing very well. As of this writing the site has had over 9000 visitors in less than 48 hours. I hope that I can help to reunite at least one family.

Lindsey is going to one of the relief shelters tonight to volunteer nursing services to those with special needs.

It looks like we very well will not be returning to New Orleans, though we can't say for sure until we get more details about our house, and our obligation on our mortgage. Thankfully, I've contacted all of our creditors and we have gotten extensions for our debts, including the mortgage. If we can figure out a way to get out of the house with losing our shirts we will probably pick up and settle elsewhere. Where that will be is impossible to think about right now. So many things are up in the air right now that very few decisions can be made.

Thanks to every one of you who has been so generous with offers for financial assistance, meals, and shelter. We appreciate all of the offers and support. It's great to know that we have help to turn to.

I will try to update you guys as often as possible.