Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Hurricane Katrina - How I Feel Now

I want to go home.

I've been stuck, helpless in Lafayette since Saturday, August 27. One and a half weeks.

I have no firm idea regarding my home in New Orleans. I'm not sure if my belongings are still there or if they're worth going back for.

All roads into New Orleans are closed.

There are idiots in New Orleans who refuse to leave which means that personnel who could be working to restore my city so that I can return home soon have to go out and hunt these assholes down to get them out.

Why was Chris Rose allowed to go home? I don't live too far from him.

I've been forced from my home and not allowed back. I have no clear idea if and when I can return to work. My boss claims that I will continue to get paid while I'm out of work, but I'll believe that when I see it. Meanwhile, I don't even qualify for Federal assistance.

All of this, and even if I were allowed to go home, it still isn't safe to even let the water there touch your skin!

Government officials. Our elected officials whose job it is to serve us are so busy pointing the finger and blaming each other, accusing each other of dropping the ball and taking too long that they seem to have lost sight of the fact that there is still a problem to be dealt with. Once these problems are solved there will be all of the time in the world to fight and tell each other what a crappy job you did while I acted like a superstar. Until then lets all pitch in and get New Orleans livable again. At least get the city to a point where we can go in and inspect our homes. Assholes.

Jefferson Parish President Aaron Broussard is so full of himself and so greedy for opportunity that he is willing to jeopardize his residents, rescue workers, children, and Orleans Parish residents' futures in order to give Jefferson Parish a little hope of growing. God forbid we let sit idly by while Baton Rouge rapidly becomes Louisiana's largest city. This guy is one of the biggest jackasses in recent memory. Typical classic Louisiana fucking politics. It's enough to make you sick.

Governor Blanco is baffling the state with her decision to keep control of the city of New Orleans. She will not hand over control to the government or the Army in order to get an organized and logical system in place to move things along smoothly. Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour handed over control to the military immediately following the disaster. I was in Mississippi on Monday, September, 5th (pictures of devastation to come soon) and let me tell you, that was a well run, organized system in place to clean up a ravaged area.

So that's how I feel about the Hurricane and the aftermath that has followed. I may be wrong in many cases, I may be wrong in all.

But I'm tired.

I'm scared.

I'm pissed off.

I'm confused.

I'm worried, and I want to go home.