Wednesday, September 14, 2005

And Now For Something Completely Different

"Unflooded portions of New Orleans may be opened to residents, perhaps as early as Monday, Mayor Ray Nagin said in an upbeat and wide-ranging news conference Tuesday afternoon."

Funny that innit? Just a few days ago the word was that anyone still in New Orleans was going to be removed by force, and those who had evacuated would not be allowed to return for months. I like Ray Nagin and all, and I'm sure he's just trying his best to do what's best for the city and therefore the citizens, but I can't help feeling that my Dad and Lindsey's Dad are right:

Don't sit around listening for the government to tell you what you can and can't and should and shouldn't do. We've got to do what's best for us. Finally, do not depend on the government to take care of you because no one can do that better than you.

On another note, I got my FEMA check yesterday...so the government isn't all bad.