Friday, March 18, 2005

Big News

Now that I've been able to tell all of my family about it personally, I can go ahead and mention it here.

Lindsey and I are buying our first house. The whole process is leaving me excited, nervous, anxious, happy, nausiated, and scared to death all at the same time. We are set to close on April 21st, and I can't wait. I'm a little tired of renting, which has left me with the feeling that I might as well have set that money on fire for all the equity I'm seeing from it now.

The house is located in the Historic Irish Channel neighborhood of New Orleans, which is a smaller sub-section of the Garden District. The Neighborhood Snapshot on this website is a little discouraging, but it doesn't accurately reflect the renaissance that the area is currently undergoing. Every house on our block, and the blocks on either side further down the street have either been renovated or are being renovated now. We are hoping that this will be a wise investment that will pay off nicely in the next 5 to 7 years. Here's to hope!

It is a three bedroom, two bath house with 1281 square feet of living space. Unfortunately the lot is only 36 x 58.4, so we don't have much of a yard, but on the bight side, neither do we have much to maintain. Two of the nicer perks of the place is the fact that it has central air and heat, which isn't all that common in New Orleans. Most of these old houses have window units. The other perk is the jacuzzi tub in the master bath. I like that part. The house is also located very near the ever popular Magazine Street shopping district, which means we can walk to a ton of cafes and shops.

IF you care to see pictures of the house, the link below will take you to my Picturetrail homepage. From there, click on the "Our New House" album to see our new place. It doesn't look like much just yet because it's just a shell of a house, but soon we'll settle in and make it a home.

Click here to view pictures.