Monday, February 14, 2005

One Reason That I Don't Watch the Grammys

Maroon 5 won Best New Artist, beating out Kanye West (undeniably the best new mainstream artist of the year,) despite the fact that Maroon 5's album wasn't even new in 2004 (not by my standards anyway.)

I don't know how the people at the Grammys classify "new," but I swear I got Maroon 5's album Songs about Jane in 2002. If it wasn't 2002, it was at least in 2003 for sure. Now, I know Kanye West's College Droupout was in fact realeased in 2004, so what gives there? How was Maroon 5 even in the race? Not to mention the fact that Maroon 5 were NOT the best new artists of the year, even if the album HAD been released in 2004.

Of course, the number one reason that I don't watch the Grammys is because despite how much I love music, I just don't care about those awards. There are so many low-key, under the radar indie and small label artists that never get the recognition they deserve that I would just get mad if I did watch.

Also, anybody who gives awards to Usher just can't be trusted.