Wednesday, January 26, 2005

-isms Re-Visited

I moved this post up to the top with all of the new family-isms that have been submitted by my faithful readers. I'm trying to stick to my own family-isms, so only those have been reproduced here. If any of you family members think of any more, please continue to submit them in the comments section of this post. Anyone not related to me is welcome and encouraged to submit their family sayings as well, because those are fun to share.



Eventually, I would like to do another post with the origin of all of these sayings. I know some of them, and some I don't, but they always seems to be pretty damned funny. - Luke




This is a list of really strange things that my family says all the time. My family uses these phrases so often that I was a teenager before I realized that I sounded like a fool when I said them around other people.



"Lost as a cupcake" - This term is used to describe the degree to which one is lost when driving. I dunno.



"Off like a herd of turtles" - This is said anytime the family is leaving on a trip out of town.



"Home again, home again, jiggity jig" - Said when arriving home after a long trip.



"Hell no, I don't want no crabs" - Reply with this expression when someone offers you something that you don't want. It helps to scream it in a thick Cajun accent.



"She say no thank you" - In reality this saying is paired with the above crabs comment. This should be used when you are relaying a message to person #1 that person #2 is not interested in what person #1 is offering.



"Leave it where the music play" - Used when someone is switching through the channels on the TV or the stations on the radio too fast or too often, and you would like them to stop on one and leave it there.



"All her eats is coke and bread" - I think this is best used when referring to someone who is very thin, or who does not eat very much.



"I think I buy that number eight" - Said when you've made up your mind to buy something, anything.



"Don't put corn up your nose." - This is usually said by a parent to a child, when said child will be left unsupervised for a time, or left with say, a babysitter. Basically it means to behave and don't do anything stupid.







More to come as I remember them. My family member readers are more than welcome to submit their favorites, or any that I have omitted.